SUPER ARISA WORLD
Post Update: 10/25/2012
I don't think this is really necessary, but it's like they say, better safe than sorry.
This game project pokes fun at tSR members and tSR as a whole. The jokes included here don't mean to offend anyone. Don't take this seriously, and get along with the fun. If you don't like the way you're being represented in this game, PM me so I can remove it.
Test the game here! (.exe version)
link for the browser-based version (it is very outdated, I reccomend the upper link)
This game's purpose is not to reinvent the platformer genre. Its sole intention is to poke fun at famous games and tSR, while adding elements of our own. Thus, even if this game is being produced mainly by me and Ploaj, feel free to give suggestions and sprite/music help. DON'T FORGET NOT TO BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW, THOUGH. This was all tSR projects' weak point until now, so don't go suggesting over-the-top stuff.
The fun of the game does not come from the gameplay alone; small details and witty designs can make this game even more enjoyable.
W, A, S, D: D-pad
O: Run, grab
Space: Change character (Arisa runs faster, Sengi~ can double jump)
*some of them works only in the .exe version.
This joke project's story is really weird and complex, so I'll do my best at explaining it.
All the elements in this project was planned in a chat with tSR people I frequent, and they were all originated because of random jokes that... were taken seriously by me.
First of all, I need to explain the 'genderbent' version of Gilbert. I designed her after people saying that I 'wasn't anime enough to watch anime' with them. I promptly responded with a sketch of gilbert with twintails, which caused some hilarious reaction and ended up becoming a running gag of the chat.
The genderbent Gilbert didn't have a fixed name, so people referred her as 'Girls', 'Girlsal', 'Girlbert' and other stuff. I thought that those names were dumb, so I settled up with 'Arisa' as her name. (Being an anime girl version of Gilbert, nothing more appropriate than naming her after a series of Japanese rifles and ammo cartridges, Arisaka
). I also placed her definitely in the Bullethead cast as Gilbert's manga-loving, 'tsundere' sister.
This new name spawned some Touhou jokes (Arisa being just one letter far from Marisa
). Sploder even went as far as drawing her and the whole chat's reference characters with Touhou clothes. This served as the base to make Super Arisa Land, a parody of the Touhou fangame Super Marisa Land
At the same time, Sengir has told us a very... peculiar dream I'll spare you the details from, and that caused more jokes to surface. Then, we noticed that Sengir wasn't 'moe' enough for the chat, so with the members' help, I created Sengi~, the girl version of Sengirbug. Naturally, she got paired with Arisa and eventually, this joke project was born.
Super Arisa World is a parody game starring Arisa and Sengi~. As the name suggests, it heavily references Super Mario World, though it also takes inspiration from other games too.
Everyone lived in peace in the land of tSR. Unfortunately, for this game to happen, something terrible had to occur, so Vipershark decided to kidnap all the girls in tSR.
For an even more unexpainable reason, Crappy Blue Luigi is the only one who knows about this tragedy, and promptly asks Gors and Sengir, the local heroes, for help.
Unfortunately, a game starring both Gors and Sengir would be so radular, the player would never die, and they knew it. So they came up with stupid excuses, such as "working in TFR" or "coding this important stuff". Crappy Blue Luigi then shrugs, and wonders who could bring back peace in the spriter's land.
He then hears some happy chatter. It was Arisa and Sengi~, taking a walk without knowing they were in danger.
"Arisa! Help us! Vipershark has kidnapped all the imoutos in tSR! Please save them from being transformed into dakimakuras..." - Crappy Blue Luigi
I have no idea why he didn't mention Sengi~ in that line, but nevertheless, both girls decided to kick Vipershark's butt and save the captive girls from his clutches...
The game has 4 levels, and every level has three 'floors', except the last level (which is Viper's castle). The floors are as follows:
1-middle (MID): Every level starts here. It has a basic platformer layout, and can branch into TOP and BOT.
2-top (TOP): One of MID's branches. It can be accessed by entering an upwards pipe, climbing vines, platforms etc. As Mario's athletic levels, there are a lot of floating platforms and falling off them is a constant threat.
3-bottom (BOT): Another MID's branches. It can be accessed by entering a downwards pipe. It is the underground layout, with rocky surfaces, stalactites and lava.
- Each floor has its goal pole.
- Once you change your route, you can't go back. The only way to visit all floors is to replay the level.
- There are 4 manga pieces in every level. They are scattered between floors, so you need to play through all of them to complete it.
- Gathering all manga pieces will give you a special prize.
- Every floor has 5 rep blocks so you can get its bonus whenever path you've taken.
Levelling system works this way:
- Killing an enemy will give you EXP points. You can stack them in the EXP bar, but being hit or dying will completely deplete it.
- Gathering a certain number of EXP points will level you up.
- Levelling up will make your attacks stronger and give them special effects. It does not affect Normal Arisa/Sengi~ though.
- You have 9 icons in your EXP bar, and they're sorted as follows:
EXP 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 MAX
--1-------2---------3 < Level
- You start out at level 1 (no EXP). Killing four enemies will make you level up to 2, and killing 5 more will level you up to 3.
For example, if you grab the Nekomimi powerup (fireball) at level 1, you'll be able to shoot only one ball at a time. Levelling up will then give you the ability to shoot more balls at once.
- Different powerups don't share EXPs. So, for example, if you were at level 3 with Nekomimi powerup, and decide to grab another, the EXP will go back to 0 so it can start counting for the new powerup. If you get the Nekomimi powerup again, the EXP will return to 3. It will make levelling up somewhat easier.
- Levelling up as Normal Arisa/Sengi~ and then picking a powerup will keep the EXP.
- Being hit or dying will reset all your EXP progress for all powerups though, as well as reverting Arisa/Sengi~ back to their normal state.
- Should I make it so the other powerups' EXP progress are kept even if you take a hit/die? This will make the game a little easier. It's up to you.
- NOTE: grabbing a mushroom will NOT change EXPs as it's meant to be a simple graphical joke. You'll return to whatever powerup you had before grabbing the mushroom.
- Should I make different human sprites for each powerup?
- PS: Should enemies give 'half-EXP' points, so you need to kill more enemies to level up?
1-Since this game has different stats for each character, it'd be better if the players could swap them before any level.
2-They have separate HUDs, except for:
- Rep points, in which finding all 5 blocks will give each player one life;
- Mangas, in which finding all 4 pieces will give you a secret prize. The manga icon appears in both characters' HUDs but they're updated at the same time.
3-Lives work as follows:
- Although lives are counted separately for each player, if a player loses all his lives, he can borrow one from the remaining player. You can't borrow lives if the remaining player doesn't have lives too.
- Because of the co-op nature of the game, if you die, you'll return immediately, inside a gashapon capsule.
- The player can decide when to drop the capsule, and where.
- The capsule will come from above and roll for a while. Pressing JUMP Button will open the capsule. The player will be invulnerable for a limited time.
- The capsule is invulnerable to any harm, except falling in a hole.
5-Powerups work as follows:
- To make the game more balanced, blocks will spawn two powerups so every player can get one. they jump out from opposite sides so there won't be any issues of the same player getting both powerups.
- Starsock is an exception, there wil be only one of her on the screen. She'll also protect only the player who got her, so the other player might want to walk behind to be protected together.
- Grabbing the coin will teleport BOTH players into the bonus room.
1-You can't leave your partner off screen; the sides of the screen will act as walls.
2-Entering a pipe will make an icon with your face appear, pointing on the pipe. The camera will stop scrolling, either forcing the second player to enter the same pipe or the first player come out from the pipe.
- To come out from the pipe in Co-op mode, press the opposite side you pressed to enter.
3-I am planning some interaction between the first and second players, so it doesn't feel like a simply tacked-on Co-op mode. I've been thinking on being able to stomp on your partner so you can reach higher places. Of course, the stomp won't be harmful. Other suggestions are welcome.
Other Game Ideas:
2-The lying down sprite is when you lose a life. I thought it would be better than simply falling off screen, like Mario does.
- Now that I think about it, how should the dead sprite act when at a slope?
- Suggestion: Make Arisa/Sengi~ fall off the screen in normal deaths, and make her lie down when losing the last life? I dunno.
- The burned sprites are for when you die with lava, or any fiery object.
3-You can't kill PK.
- In theory, Starsock could kill PK but they won't appear on the same level so it doesn't really matter. I can make a dead sprite for him for the sake of completeness.
4-Popcorn is a 'stealth' enemy:
- It is found in the levels as kernels. They can't be harmed in this state;
- Once you approach them, they'll jump out from it, hurting you in contact;
- Once they have spawned, they'll walk towards you somewhat fast;
- They'll jump whenever you do, making them a little harder to stomp on. Its jump is not high, though (probably one block-high jumps).
1. That pose of Gatsby facing back, what is it? I assumed it was like when you try to jump on his head, he like sometimes he dodges or something. idk
2. Is the laying down pose like the dead pose when you run out of lives or like after a big hit or something.
3. Should falling down a whole take one life or just kill you.
4. Same for lava, does it just kill you or do you lose a life
5. What do these blocks do?: The block with the cross, The Thumbs up, and the one with flashing lights.
1. That is not an actual animation, it's just a beta sprite. You can disregard it completely.
2. That's when you lose a life. GAME OVER portrait will be different.
3. It'll kill you.
4. Same as 3.
5.The green cross is the Rep block:
There are 5 in every level, and hitting it will give you a rep point. Finding all 5 will give you a life (imagine SMW's Yoshi Coins)
It can also be activated when hit on the side with koopa shells, minecraft blocks, etc.
Thumbs up is the Thank block:
It acts like a ON/OFF switch. Can be used to toggle platforms.
I assume you're talking about the Gradius Red Capsule:
That's a powerup that will give the girls shoot-em-up abilities.
You can find the game's soundtrack by checking my YT channel
, under 'Super Arisa World' playlist. It is updated somewhat regularly, and the new tracks are also shown in this thread.
If you support this project, please add this icon to your sig!
Thanks for the support! If you have any suggestion, be free to share them <3
Here are the sprites I've been working on. I am doing then for fun, but I've already written some of the gameplay in my projects notebook.
the sprite style tries to barely mimic New Super Marisa Land, but nothing is very rigid. The blocks and sprites are made in multiples of 24 pixels. I am mostly thinking SMW for gameplay but only 4 different stages.
Huge thanks to Sploder since he made this 'project's first sprite, in the top left corner of the main sheet.
as usual, C+C and stuff
adding two more animations before going to bed
Main Designer: Gors
Graphic Designer: Gors, Ploaj, Recolorme, Sploder
Sound Composer: Gors
Character Design: tSR
Doublethanks to: Everyone who helped and supported this game <3