SOL: THE GAME - Printable Version
+- The Spriters Resource Community (http://www.spriters-resource.com/community)
+-- Forum: Creative Zone (/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Forum: Games Development (/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: SOL: THE GAME (/showthread.php?tid=15924)
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - ThePortalGuru - 12-07-2010 11:41 PM
My iTunes must be going AWOL on me, then.
Welp wrong meaning.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Vipershark - 12-08-2010 03:00 AM
that's not the correct usage for AWOL but i get what you mean
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Gorsalami - 12-08-2010 04:05 AM
You might be asking 'what are those CD cases?'. I thought that you could get CDs in-game (like SSBB) to increase the music list. Those CD cases show up on SOUND TEST option.
further explanation on the newest version of the txt.
Also WIP bosses.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - ThePortalGuru - 12-08-2010 04:36 AM
FFF I am so happy in this moment.
You're a saint, Gorsal.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Nindo - 12-08-2010 04:39 AM
(12-08-2010 04:05 AM)Gors٫ Gors Wrote: You might be asking 'what are those CD cases?'. I thought that you could get CDs in-game (like SSBB) to increase the music list. Those CD cases show up on SOUND TEST option.Like what they did in Warioland 4?
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - ThePortalGuru - 12-08-2010 04:44 AM
BTW, this game is already looking to be gorgeous. Just needs a solid engine now (from Sploder), and it might actually come to fruition.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - tsr moderation staff - 12-08-2010 04:47 AM
you are a hero to us all gorsal
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Kitsu - 12-08-2010 08:05 AM
Well, I managed to fix that glitch I had. Kind of a hack-ish fix, but then again, the cause itself was kind of hack-ish, too. With that, though, climbing should come along smoothly.
I'd also like to say that, if I can get away with not implementing slopes, I'd like to. Of course, if you really want slopes, I can still get them in. Hopefully.
Anyway, here are some questions for climbing:
1. So far, I'm finding it kind of clunky to have to hold "up" to climb after jumping onto a wall. Do you want it to be like this (not necessarily clunky, but very intentional, as in, you don't climb unless you really want to...), or could we maybe also allow the direction towards the wall to climb up as well (as in, jumping onto a wall from the left, and continuing to hold that direction will make you climb, kind of like the Spider Ball in Metroid II)?
2. Speaking of jumping onto a wall, that's currently the only way to start climbing. Did you want the player to be able to start climbing a wall simply by walking up to it?
3. Also, how do you want the player to get off the wall? Would pressing the direction away from the wall be enough, or do you want him to jump to get off? And if he jumped, would it just be treated as a normal jump, or as very strict wall-kick sort of jump, where you jump off and away from the wall every time?
4. Finally, I know you want the player to be able to climb up at the top of a wall. How about holes at the bottom of a wall; should the player automatically climb into these as well?
Anyway, the music is totally awesome, as usual. Being able to change the music at any time during play should be an interesting thing, though I'm kind of hoping you won't necessarily need to collect each CD in order to hear different songs; as awesome as the level theme is, I'm pretty sure it could get annoying if you were to listen it for a long time. I guess I'm saying it might be a good idea to maybe provide at least 3-4 different songs at the beginning that could maybe switch out randomly/automatically during play, maybe corresponding to some difficulty or tileset changes?
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Gorsalami - 12-08-2010 10:51 PM
You don't need to use slopes at all, I just threw that in just for the sake of having a slope
1. It's better to climb by pressing forward instead of up imo. I am aware of the good points of climbing by pressing up, but it sounds and feels very strange. Maybe if you could choose between them in-game?
2. No, I think it's better to climb by jumping first. This way the player can 'control' when he wants to climb or not. It'd get pretty annoying if every time you bumped on a wall, you'd start climbing. This brings up another issue: climbing ladders (blocks stacked in a ladder shape) might be a problem (since you jump to go up, and you end up bumping on the sides of the blocks while doing so). I suggest, if you can, make Sol climb when the wall is at least 2 blocks high.
3. Climbing a wall would be something like SMW (press forward to climb, stop pressing to get off). Wall jump would be limited to a small walk kick.
4. I don't get it, care explaining it further?
About the music thing, I was thinking on the player already having some songs on the start, and increase it by playing. In fact, this 'collect CDs for more music' was made to counter-attack the fact that listening to one song while playing an INFINITE game would be p. annoying.
I like the idea of the songs shuffling automatically/randomly, maybe we could have both systems?
(12-08-2010 04:39 AM)Not Thanked by: Nindo Wrote:
perfect example, yes c: (also it is a decent excuse to make more pixelart)
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Kitsu - 12-08-2010 11:35 PM
1. Okay. Makes good sense, considering your answer for #3.
2. So, to clear this up:
1: The player can climb this.
2: The player cannot climb this.
3: Does the player automatically climb into the hole, or is it treated like a normal 1-block-high wall? I'm guessing the second option.This brings up another point: can the player jump while crouching, and if he does, will he still be crouching in the air (i.e. Mario-style crouch-jump)?
3. Okay. So it's essentially just a way for the player to quickly get over a high wall.
4. Since I now know you can't climb down a wall anyway, this no longer applies in any way. The idea was that, when you climb down to the bottom of a wall, if there was a hole there, you'd climb into it just like you climb into a hole at the top of a wall.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Gorsalami - 12-09-2010 12:27 AM
here's a diagram of the possible moves Sol can do
Sol can jump up to two blocks of height; any more than that and he'll climb the wall (Sol can climb 2 block tall walls, though). Small holes can be crawled/crouch jumped, as shown.
Sol can't climb walls with holes, unless the upper part is at least blocks tall. The red Xs show places that Sol can't climb. tall walls with a small hole on the top can be climbed; the engine will automatically make Sol crouch in those cases.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - ThePortalGuru - 12-09-2010 04:44 AM
My iTunes stopped being a bitch, so I finally listened the the tune.
Mother of God.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Gorsalami - 12-10-2010 02:25 AM
update on the CD cases.
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Kitsu - 12-10-2010 03:25 AM
Just posting another engine update.
I have climbing working perfectly now.
I'm gonna work on getting paintbrush attacks going next, but I'm gonna need to sit down and really plan out the level generator sometime soon; apparently, random level generation for platformers is an incredibly rare feature.
EDIT: Oh yeah,, asking again, Gors, you gonna do a crawling anim, or is SoL gonna slide along the ground?
RE: [IDEA] [GAME] SOL: THE GAME - Gorsalami - 12-10-2010 03:31 AM
Make him slide the ground, the more we can economize in sprites, the better